Fundraising for NH Gives During COVID-19
The world has changed dramatically since we started planning NH Gives 2020. Whether your organization is engaged in the battle on the front lines of serving vulnerable populations or pretty much closed for business to keep your constituents and staff safe, the need for funds is equally critical. NH Gives is uniquely positioned as a platform where people who are looking to support their communities can go to find causes to support. It was built to require no face-to-face time, so it is aligned with the physical distancing that we are currently doing. You can plan it, promote it and run it with the digital tools at your disposal.
How you approach a giving day in the current climate will be different than how you would approach it in other years. The advice we are hearing from fundraising experts everywhere is to be honest and transparent. Adapt your NH Gives profile to tell the story of where your organization is at right now. If you need funds to keep the organization going, remind them of who in their community will be affected if you are unable to weather this storm.
Below you will find some resources, tips and ideas that we hope you will find useful.
Strategies for an Impactful Giving Day during COVID-19
In light of event cancellations and increasing mandates to mitigate the potential spread of COVID-19, we understand the new challenges and possible implications that NH Gives participants are experiencing. Now more than ever, it's vital to be able to connect with your supporters amidst these rapid changes and continue providing necessary services to your community. Topics in this webinar include how you can leverage social media, utilize fundraising tools, and continue to engage your community at this crucial time.
Tips & Ideas
- As hard times hit, the most vulnerable Granite Staters seem to get hit the worst. Your help is needed now more than ever.
- Please give to basic needs, but please consider a gift to our nonprofit as well so when this health crisis is over, we will still be here for you.
- Your support is needed now more than ever. Many fundraising events have been and will be cancelled. If you had planned on attending a fundraiser, consider giving the equivalent of that ticket price during NH Gives.
- Nonprofits, like us, that have been unable to provide services during this time, need your support now so that they can be there for your community during the recovery from this crisis.
- Acknowledge the situation on social media, even if your nonprofit does not directly serve those impacted
- Engage with your supporters via a Facebook Poll or Instagram Poll
- Create an "I give during NH Gives because..." sign and have people take selfies, post on social media, and tag your nonprofit
- Have staff or volunteers do a social media takeover to share a day in the life of your nonprofit and remind followers to give during NH Gives.
- Update your followers on your fundraising goals throughout the day. Post regularly with stories or fun facts. Give your followers a reason to care, share and donate!
- Consider a safe dare or challenge to engage your followers. For example, if you reach 50 donors, your ED will get a pie in the face or dye their hair a fun color!
- Add P2P fundraisers via your NH Gives Dashboard, and encourage supporters to sign up via social media
- Ask volunteers to pair up with a P2P fundraiser and share it out on the fundraiser's behalf - that's one fundraiser with twice the reach!
- Encourage your P2P fundraisers to ramp up sharing on social media
- Offer a small prize to the fundraiser that raises the most. It can be as simple as a t-shirt or free membership to your organization!
- Like on social media, acknowledge the situation with your supporters and check-in to see how they are doing
- Be direct with your asks and help donors understand what the funds are going towards. Remember, that keeping the lights on is still a worthy cause to fundraise for!
- Offer an alternative for those that can't give right now: Like, follow, subscribe, share!
- Go Live on Facebook to engage with supporters in lieu of an in-person event
- Host an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Facebook Live to engage with supporters
- Create an online trivia or game show to host on NH Gives via Facebook Live
- Offer a virtual tour, performance or story-time via Facebook Live
- Make sure to let your supporters know in advance when you're going live so they know when to tune in!
- Ask volunteers to make thank-you calls throughout NH Gives
- Give donors (that have opted to make their donation public!) a special shout out on social media
- Remember: The way to get your first gift is to ask, and the way to get your second gift is to say thank you!
- The GiveGab Blog
- Donor Communications During a Crisis News Cycle
- How to be Relevant Now (and What Not to Say)
Nonprofit Fundraising in the Age of Coronavirus - From NH's own Alan Cantor
- Resources to Guide Arts and Cultural Organizations through COVID-19
- Engaging Major Donors during COVID-19
- Association of Fundraising Professionals Resource Guide
- Principles for Fundraising: The Coronavirus and Philanthropy
- Principles for Fundraising: Navigating the Challenges Presented by Coronavirus
- Kate from K8 Communications Crisis Communication Plan
- 10 Facebook Live Tips